BOARD OF EDUCATION
FACULTY & STAFF
When there are adverse weather conditions or an emergency situation, Mt. Pulaski CUD #23 follows a carefully measured plan. The decision to cancel school is not easy and is taken seriously. If students can be transported to schools safely, we will be in session. Temperature and wind chill are factors in the winter season. There are students who wait outside at a bus stop and there are students who walk to school. If school needs to be cancelled, we will let you know as soon as we can. We try to make this decision no later than 6:00-6:15 AM. The decision is based on several factors:
Weather forecasts from several sources, including the National Weather Service and N.O.A.A. The website is www.weather.gov.
Outside temperature and wind chill. The wind chill that has been used in the past as a guideline is -20˚ F for cancelling school.
Amount of snow and ice accumulated. Reports from road commissioners and the district transportation director, Gene Schoth.
Amount of snow drifting and visibility.
The timing of snow, ice and wind chill.
Conversations with other school superintendents.
Building conditions such as heat and electricity, as well as parking lot and sidewalk conditions.
With regard to extra-curricular activities, if school is not in session, practices & games are typically cancelled. However, depending on the reason school is cancelled and the timing of the events, it is possible that activities may continue as planned. Contact your coaches or sponsors for more information.